Let’s take a quick look at integrating ConnectWise management.
It’s really just a simple three-part process:
Creating your API Member Keys
Connecting to ConnectWise
Selecting your syncing preferences
Once that’s done, you’re ready to go! We’ll go over each part step-by-step.
PART 1: CREATING YOUR API MEMBER KEYS
1. First, let’s log into your ConnectWise Client. Click the blue button located in the upper left-hand corner.
2. Next, find that gear icon next to System in the left-hand navigation menu of ConnectWise. Give that a click.
3. See that sub-menu that just dropped down below? Find Members and click it.
4. Now we’re getting somewhere! On this page, look for a tab on the left side that reads API Members. That’s the one you want. Click there.
5. Don’t see the member you want added listed? Not a problem. Just below and to the left a bit of API Members, you’ll see a plus sign (+). Click that to add the new API member.
6. This is where you can list out all the details of the new member. If there’s an asterisk (*), that means the field is required to continue. Fill out everything and Save.
Note: It is compulsory to set API Member Role ID to Admin. Otherwise, you'll not able to integrate ConnectWise Manage.
7. BAM! Your new member is added! Now, just click to highlight the member you just created – or whomever you prefer from the list of Members.
8. Now it’s time to generate those API keys! Take a look at the top menu again. You’re looking for a tab called API Keys. Click that.
9. Once again, our little plus sign friend (+) has returned. Click him again.
10. Here, you can enter a quick description of the key. Once that’s done, click Generate, and the system will generate both public and private keys for you.
11. Make sure you copy both keys and save them.
FUN FACT: It’s really important you make a note of the private key. This is the ONLY time it will be shown. Otherwise, you’ll have to start all over again. Write it. Save it. Keep it.
Hey! That does it for Part 1! Good job. Now, let’s see about using those keys you just generated to get you going!
PART 2: CONNECTING TO CONNECTWISE
Now that we have the keys you’ll need, in ITBOOST, visit the Integration page. It’s under Organization Settings.
1. Under the Server URL, type in your ConnectWise Server URL. (something like https://na.myconnectwise.net)
2. Next, enter your ConnectWise CompanyID.
3. Now! Remember that those keys we just generated? Enter them next.
4. Click Save.
5. Uh-oh! Did you get this error message? It probably just means you had a typo somewhere. Take a quick minute to double-check your Server URL, Company ID, Public Key and Private Key and give it another shot. Still doesn’t work? Drop us a line.
6. Bravo! You got everything entered correctly, and you’re now validated and connected!
Now! Let’s get everything set all nice and pretty the way you like it.
PART 3: SELECTING YOUR SYNCING PREFERENCES
This is, by far, the simplest step – but very likely the most important. This is where you’ll get the chance to bring in everything you want from ConnectWise into ITBOOST.
Remember: less is more! We highly recommend you customize your syncs to your company’s specific needs – the things you have to keep an eye on every day.
For example, you may have absolutely no reason to utilize Inactive Companies or Configurations. If that’s the case, just leave them out. Maybe by bringing in the ticket board showing alerts generated by the RMM, it creates a lot of noise in dashboards? That’s one you’d skip, too.
You’ll get much better performance by syncing only what you need. So, before saving, take just a few minutes to think over what is important to you, then select those items for your sync.
Don’t panic if you realize later that you actually need to bring in a few more items. You can always come right back here to this integrations page and add or subtract things whenever you like!
When you’ve made up your mind, just do the following:
We highly recommend that you only bring in items that you want to keep track of e.g. Active companies/clients or active configurations etc.
All you need to do is place a check mark by the items you want synced with ITBOOST, then just click the Update button.
2. And there you have it. The system has begun syncing the data. And don’t worry about closing the Sync Status window – that won’t cancel the sync, so you’re good. If you do decide to close the Sync Status window and want to check up on it later, just go to Organization Settings, then click Sync Status.
You’ve done it! Way to go, you.
Need some more help? Click here to go to the KB for some more handy-dandy tips.