Let’s take a quick look at integrating ConnectWise Automate.
It’s really easy. Just a simple three-part process (Actually, only two if you already have a username, and only one if you have a username AND you’re on a hosted version of Labtech)
1. Creating a User
2. Update WEB.CONFIG on Labtech
3. Establish Integration
Once that’s done, you’re ready to go! We’ll go over each part step-by-step.
PART 1: CREATING A USER
First of all, it’s hard to integrate something if you’re not even signed up for it. If you don’t already have a username you want to use for integration, start here.
- First, click on the System menu on the navigation bar in the Automate Client.
2. Click the Users and Contacts drop-down and choose Users.
3. Under the Users tab, click +Add.
4. Fill in the Username, Password and Confirm Password fields.
5. Check "Integrator" checkbox appearing at the bottom of the popup and then click the Permissions tab above.
This step is required to avoid MFA Authentication Token emails. If you'll not check "Integrator" check box while MFA is enabled on your CW Automate then you'll keep getting MFA Authentication Token emails on each API call to CW Automate from ITBoost.
6. On the left-hand side, you’ll see a section entitled User Classes. Here, you’ll click Help Desk Users.
7. On the new window that pops up, take a look toward the bottom. The Allow HTTP Tunnel checkbox should be checked. If not, you know what to do. Check it!
8. Almost there now. Next, let’s go to another tab. This time, we want Groups and Clients.
9. The lower box on the left side is called Group Membership. Click both All Agents and All Clients. Then, click Save.
That did it! You now have a username you can integrate with ConnectWise Automate!
Now, if you’re on a hosted version of Automate, you can skip down to Part 3 below. But if you’re using an on-premise version of Automate, you’ll need to go through Part 2.
PART 2: UPDATE WEB.CONFIG ON AUTOMATE (FORMERLY LABTECH) SERVER
This is a fairly simple step for on-premise versions of Automate. Let’s knock this out real quick.
1. Navigate to the desired folder on the Automate server. Usually, Web.config file exists in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\automate OR C:\inetpub\wwwroot\LabTech. So, please check accordingly.
Please note that “.config” is the extension of the file. So, if extensions are hidden on your system then you will only see a file named web. In this case, please check file type under “file type” column in the explorer; it should be config.
2. Next, search through the thread until you find a file entitled Web.config.
3. Make a copy of this file. Save it somewhere you can easily find it.
4. Now, we’ll choose to edit the Web.config file.
5. Perform a search for the word Documentation.
6. Once you find it, delete the line “<“remove name=Documentation”/>”.
Easy enough, right? Okay, time for the last part! Here we go!
PART 3: ESTABLISH INTEGRATION
Now that we have a Automate username, let’s start the integration process! It’s really pretty simple.
Click on the Gear icon on the top right of the ITBOOST screen.
- Click on the RMM tab then choose Automate
2. Enter your Automate Server URL, along with your Username and Password. It is require to enter MFA code if 2FA is enabled on this particular user.
3. You see a Save button. Give that a click.
4. Uh-oh! Did you get this error message? It probably just means you had a typo somewhere. Take a quick minute to double-check your Server URL, Username and Password and give it another shot. Still doesn’t work? Drop us a line here.
5. Bravo! You got everything entered correctly, and you’re now validated and connected!
And there you have it. The system has begun syncing the data. And don’t worry about closing the Sync Status window – that won’t cancel the sync, so you’re good. If you do decide to close the Sync Status window and want to check up on it later, just go to Organization Settings, then click Sync Status and Automate
You’ve done it! Way to go, you.
Need some more help? Click here to head back to the KB for some more handy-dandy tips.